Got some questions?
Below are answers to most of the common questions we've had over the years. If you cant find the answer below, feel free to send us an email here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.
Tara is situated 2 hrs west of Toowoomba, in Queensland, Australia. Tara is accessible from the north, south, east and west by car. Directions are as follows:
- From Brisbane: Take the Warrego Highway exit off of the Ipswich Motorway, following to Toowoomba. Pass through Toowoomba continuing on the Warrego Highway to Dalby. Turn left at the lights, taking the Moonie Highway for approx 44km's, cross over a grid, immediately turn right to Tara (Surat Developmental Rd) for 44km's.
- From Moonie: head approx 45km's north up the Leichhardt Hwy, turning right at The Gums intersection. Travel along the Surat Developmental Rd for approx 28km's into Tara.
- From Surat: travel into Glenmorgan, continue straight along the Surat Developmental Rd for approx 87km's leading into Tara.
- From Chinchilla: head south out of Chinchilla on the Tara Chinchilla Rd for approx 70km's, leading into Tara.
There are coach tours available to the festival. Find out more about coach tours.
Tara Festival of Culture & Camel Races has camping sites at the event for tents, caravans or motorhomes. A $30 fee applies per site, which covers camping whether you stay 1 night or up to 5 nights (Wednesday to Sunday camping available). Just follow the directions on entry at the event. Camping bookings are not required. ...More about camping.
Stay in a Tent City Tent onsite at the festival, with your bedding, table and chairs all set up and ready for you to move in! ...More about Tent City Tents.
Other accommodation in Tara, listed below, always books out quickly and well before the festival.
- Commercial Hotel, 45 Day Street Tara Ph: (07) 4665 3214
- Tara Spa Apartments, 18 Milne Street Tara Ph: (07) 4669 4001 Mob: 0429 496 257
- Tara Caravan Park, Milne Street Tara Ph: (07) 4665 3979 Mob: 0438 842 450
- Tara Lagoon Parklands: Camping, Caravans welcome. Unpowered sites, showers, toilets, bbq's, walkways. Adjacent to the Tara Lagoon and next door to the festival grounds. No bookings are possible and site fees are collected by a visiting caretaker daily.
The Tara Festival of Culture & Camel Races has a multitude of various Aussie, country and cultural cuisine for you to experience.
- Tara Cafe, 25 Day Street Tara Ph: (07) 4665 3152
- Woolshed Bakery 38 Day Street Tara Ph: (07) 4669 4400
- Commercial Hotel Tara, 35 Day Street Tara Ph: (07) 4665 3214
- Tara Bowls Club, Bilton Street Tara Ph: (07) 4665 3329
The withdrawal of funds in Tara is limited to the following facilities:
- Commercial Hotel, 35 Day Street Tara (ATM, EFTPOS)
- Tara Foodworks (EFTPOS withdrawal)
- Tara Cafe 25 Day Street Tara (ATM, EFTPOS)
- Tara Newagency Day Street Tara (Heritage Building Society)
- Tara Post Office Fry Street Tara (Commonwealth Bank Agent)
There will be an ATM facility available on site at the festival, but please note, there is no EFTPOS at the festival gate.
The majority of businesses operate EFTPOS in Tara.
The Tara town water has recently been upgraded and is now potable water. Festival campers are welcome to use the taps located around the festival campgrounds for re-filling their water supplies. There are not enough taps to allow any campers to hook up to taps.
The committee for the Festival of Culture and Camel Races appreciates visitors will be arriving early to Tara in preparation of the festivals activities and the opportunities to soak up the tourism within Tara's limits.
No worries, just come and buy your wristbands when the ticket box is open the following day as you will need your wristband to enter the festival!
Generators are allowed as long as they are not excessively loud from 7am to 8 pm.
Dogs are allowed to camp but must be restrained and abide by council regulations. Dogs and pets will not be permitted into the festival section of the show ground. It's also really important to please keep your pets well away from the racetrack, for the safety of the camels, jockeys and your pets.
Contained self contained fires are permitted in camping areas. There will be firewood available for sale. BYO fire container/bin/stove. Please join us each evening also in the community fire pits to meet other campers from the Wednesday night.
Firewood will be available for purchase onsite.
Please note we do not have dump points inside the festival site within the Showgrounds, however next door in the public Tara Lagoon parklands there is a dump point available for motorhomes/RVs.
With really large numbers of travellers in Tara for the festival, we encourage you to please empty at a dump point also prior to coming to Tara, to help us reduce the huge demand on our local dump point during the festival period.